Monday, August 23, 2010

Philippines' Farmers Market

I don't like going to wet markets. If I must, I have to be mentally prepared and suitably dressed for it because it's no small effort to step on slimy floors, to get bumped by "kargador" (porter, stevedore), to get nasal assault on every turn, to haggle for good price, to guard against pickpockets, to pay for goods in bills and coins, count your change, and to carry your own shopping bags. In fact, things get even more challenging if the one shopping is a blogger who must take photographs to chronicle an adventure. :) It also doesn't help that I have to have my mobile phone with me at all times and my parking ticket, too! I could probably think of a hundred reason why I'll avoid going to a wet market on most days, except when I need fresh seafood.

(Photos: public weighing scale, the seafood and meat sections, fruit vendors)




And seafood were exactly what I need one Sunday morning when I got dressed in simple shirt and jeans and drove to Farmers' Market. Here in the Philippines, this wet market is an institution. Located in Cubao, Quezon City, Farmers' Market has a good selection of seafood, meat, fruits and vegetables, and flowers, too. I go here mostly for the seafood. It's not the cheapest market to shop, but I think many come here for the quality and wide selection of seafood.

So, without further ado, here are the pictures I took during my recent trip at Farmers' Market. I took close-up pictures only from stores or vendors I patronized because I was afraid others would mind if I took photos without buying. I love the one of the mussels because there's a tabby cat at the foreground looking jaded towards all that the seas and ponds in the country came up with that morning.



(Above, fresh fish: Lapu-lapu are the rosy ones, and Pampano, I think, are the flat, silver ones.)



(Above, basins of prawns and shrimps in different sizes, next to a basket of live crabs tied up so they don't escape.)



(Above, baskets of kuhol or escargot. I don't eat snails, ty. The next stand sells mussels guarded by a shy young tabby.)



(Above, scallops that sell for P350 a kilo or about $8. Next photo shows clams for P60 or $1.50 and oysters and seaweeds.)

No comments:

Post a Comment